i need my first micro. which one?

Started May 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,307Gear list
Like?
Re: i need my first micro. which one?
In reply to Martin Ocando, May 10, 2012

Are you saying you take a full frame dslr at 50mm, a Nikon D90 (just example) at 35 mm and a micro four thirds camera with a 25 mm. Use the closest f-stop to 1.4 and everything is equal. That makes sense.

Now take a 70-200 or 70-300 DSLR lens one at 2.8 and the other at 3.5 typical specs between the two at the same focal length of say 200 mm and thats the same?

Now take a FF DSLR lens, 70-200 2.8. DOF at 200mm at 2.8 is shallow than the same focal length at F-16.

I just shot the GF-1 with the 25mm 1.4 and will post later showing from 1.4 to F 16 and you can see the background blur using the same principal as you would with a FF DSLR.

Martin Ocando wrote:

Uhmmm, yes it does. Not directly, but as a result of the Field Of View. The DOF of a 50mm equivalent FOV lens on a FF camera deliver different DOF values to the same FOV on an APS-C, a MFT or a point and shoot. Of course the focal length changes, but the FOV is equivalent, which is what is important here.

I mean, a 28mm (FF), 18mm (APS-C), 14mm (MFT)and an 6mm (P&S) lenses are all equivalent, in their respective camera (sensor size), but DOF values are completely different. Now, a 18mm lens will have exactly the same DOF in either camera, but will become an fisheye in FF, a wide angle in APS-C, a standard lens in MFT and a short tele in P&S. All because of the FOV.

So the camera (thus, the sensor) does have to do with the DOF.

ryan2007 wrote:

The camera has nothing to do with the property called depth of field. It is all with lens.

-- hide signature --

Martin Ocando
-------------------------

ryan2007's gear list:ryan2007's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow