Good book to learn Photoshop for a beginner?

Started May 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
ProtoPhoto
Contributing MemberPosts: 975Gear list
Like?
Re: Good book to learn Photoshop for a beginner?
In reply to rfe777, May 10, 2012

Kelby is a love/hate kind of thing, and I also find him annoying.

I've also done the Lynda.com video tutorials, and they are a matter of individual learning style. They were interesting, but I had poor retention, and was continually pausing to take notes.

For CS5, I have both of the aforementioned Martin Evening and Photoshop CS5 Bible books, and they each have their role.

If I were in your shoes, I would wait for the new Martin Evening CS6 book, and then take your time going through it, chapter by chapter, working on the screen as you read the text, and taking the time to play with your own projects. No hurry, take a couple of weeks to a month per chapter, immerse and learn from a true master.

I bought the "Bible" because I own CS5 Extended as part of the Master Collection, soon to be be CS6 when the upgrade codes are sent out. About 30% of the thousand pages are for Creative Suite / non-photography uses, and this was very useful for my particular situation.

Overall, I like Evening better, but the Dayley husband/wife team who wrote the Bible take a much more comprehensive look at everything that is in Photoshop, and that can be useful. Evening covers much less, but shows you exactly how to use what he does cover.

rfe777 wrote:

And BTW, should I wait for books on CS6? or is it almost the same as CS5?

ProtoPhoto's gear list:ProtoPhoto's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Canon PowerShot S90 Canon EOS 450D Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS 600D +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow