NEX-7: Sensor dust

Started Apr 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
Charlie Lab
Regular MemberPosts: 348Gear list
Like?
Re: NEX-7: Sensor dust
In reply to i3c, May 10, 2012

I have had two compact Panasonic P&S cameras in the last 3 years that had to be abandoned due to dust getting into the lens/sensor mechanism. Enormously frustrating reason to give up a camera, but the cost of servicing on these systems is equivalent to the camera value.

I won't say I have ever found cleaning dust a joy, but I haven't seen any compelling evidence that the NEX family is any worse than any other interchangeable lens camera when it comes to dust - I've had my NEX 7 for a couple months now and no issues whatsoever. I give a quick blow with my rocket between lens changes and haven't seen any dust artifacts on photos yet (granted, I haven't taken a lot of photos of de-focused moving walls at f22 either).

i3c wrote:

Charlie Lab wrote:

I find this rather mind-boggling. I can only hope you are joking. One of the great joys of interchangeable lens cameras is the ability to clean dust from the systems so easily. One thing that drives me crazy about P&S cameras is that any dust in the lens/sensor system pretty much wrecks the system's usability.

It's dust, people, not anthrax.

I can't say I've ever found cleaning dust a joy.
Nor have I ever seen a dust problem with a fixed-lens camera.

-- hide signature --

If you take a great photograph, I really don't care whether it came from a Leica or smartphone. Just share it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow