What happened to Canon papers???

Started Mar 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
Mark McCormick
Contributing MemberPosts: 745
Like?
Re: My main paper is Kodak Ultra Premium Photo glossy....
In reply to Gekko4321, May 10, 2012

Gekko4321 wrote:

I dont want to be picky but quality of paper is key here. Canon sold me how their pigment inks and papers go hand in hand and last 100 years plus via Wilhelm Institute testing.

As will any modern inkjet ink/media combination if you specify the appropriate display and storage conditions. One paper may need to spend most of it's time in dark album storage, another kept in cool to cold storage, while another can be on continuous display at moderate heat, humidity, and light levels. Nonetheless, if you define appropriate environmental handling, display, and storage conditions and also allow for some noticeable aging (also must be defined), then 100 years longevity is a relatively easy goal to ensure. In other words, rating print durability on a "how long will it last" time scale is fraught with easily manipulated marketing speak. One needs more fundamental durability evaluations that aren't subject to the highly manipulated predictions of print quality "lifetimes".

So how does one gauge 3rd party papers with Canon pigment inks as to longevity??

With regard to light fade resistance, you can run a do-it-yourself (DIY) window test as one approach comparing a new printer/ink/media sample to a known and well-tested control sample, or you can step up your game by monitoring accumulated light exposure dose with a datalogger that will log accumulated light exposure (can be purchased for under $200). Then use the reciprocity law equation (Exposure = light intensity x time) to predict "years on display" to reach a noticeable fading level (visually or instrumentally assessed in your DIY test). Conceptually, the DIY window test is not a bad approach, but it's flawed due to lack of control over heat and humidity levels, and if you don't measure the actual accumulated light exposure dose, then the result cannot be compared to other independently conducted tests.

Alternatively, you can become a member of my digital print research program ( http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com ), submit the sample(s) you'd like to see tested... and then wait for me to raise the funds from donations to conduct a standardized accelerated light fade test that rigorously controls all the important testing variables. The big drawback to this latter approach is that it takes me a very lengthy amount of time to raise the funding to conduct even just one test. That said, I've conducted well over 230 published tests so far, and I still soldier on. I'm trying to raise the awareness in the printmaking community that more comprehensive testing protocols now exist, and that choice of media really does matter... very significantly, even if one is using major brands of pigmented inks.

-- hide signature --

Mark McCormick

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow