Started May 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
flubby
Regular MemberPosts: 167
Like?
Small DSLR vs. mirrorless
May 10, 2012

I have a D700 and an assortment of great Nikon glass. It's all relatively big and heavy. When the D3100 came out, I bought it and a 35mm 1.8 DX lens as a smaller alternative. Then I bought a P300 for an even smaller alternative.

But for about a year now I have been thinking an awful lot about m4/3 and the Fuji x100 for the small size and pancake primes. There is something attractive about those cameras. I want a camera that is small, high quality, with fast aperture and good ISO performance. I would like to be able to be stealthy at concerts to shoot stage performances. I would really like the visceral feeling of having a metal camera with a retro look with dials. I want a view finder and not just an LCD. I would like to do street photography and keep the camera with me all the time.

I wish, I wish, I wish, I wish that Nikon would come out with a small DX sensor camera with a retro leather and metal fit and finish and an autofocus motor that can use all of the old Nikon primes as well as the new DX lenses. Why not? It has to be possible. There were film cameras that satisfied that criteria. The Leica M9 has full frame and the Fuji Xpro1 and x100 have DX sensors. I would LOVE a little Nikon camera that looks like the x100 on which you could mount a 24mm 2.8 D lens or a 35mm 2.0 D lens! I have been wishing that Nikon would do something like this for a while. Wouldn't such a camera be the holy grail?

But alas this doesn't exist yet. So I have a question. What does an Olympus OM-D or Olympus EP-3 or Fuji xpro1 or x100 do that I can't do with my D3100 and 35mm 1.8? Isn't my D3100 al little bit bigger, but has better image quality, and an advantage in capability because of the DSLR viewfinder, focusing, other capabilities and sensor size? If my D3100 is as good or better, then why am I wishing for something different? I think I just want to handle a small, well-built retro-looking camera that will make me feel like a serious photographer. The D3100 just doesn't make me "feel" that way because of the lens selection and plastic body and handling. I seriously want to know if anyone else has these same thoughts about an entry level DSLR and these new generation of cameras by Panasonic, Olympus and Fuji.

And one other rant I would like to hear other thoughts about - why hasn't Nikon offered small 18mm and 24mm primes for DX camara owners who want to shoot with a compact set of high quality primes? The m4/3 market already has a more complete range of smnall, high quality primes than the Nikon DX system and I bought my D70 8 years ago! Doesn't Nikon think that there is more to the DX system than kit zooms?!?!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow