ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Airmel
Regular MemberPosts: 246Gear list
Like?
EM-5 Shipped from Adorama - Arrived Yesterday
May 10, 2012

For those awaiting EM-5 fulfillment...

I pre-ordered an EM-5 (black) w/ 12-50mm, HLD-6 Grip and MMF-3 from Adorama on 22 Feb.

Yesterday I received the EM-5/12-50mm and MMF-3. Adorama tells me that the grip is still back ordered. The EM-5 came to me with firmware v1.0, while the 12-50mm had firmware v1.1. This morning I updated the EM-5 to v1.1.

For my first set up experiment, I set Fn1=MyMode1 for HDR shooting (5ea +- 1EV, High speed sequential and LF+RAW) and wow, that was fast. Collected all five shots in about half a second. Very cool. Takes my E-5 well over a second to do the same thing.

I noticed the mild high freq noise/hum that others have mentioned. I have heard it attributed to the IS system. Strangely, it is present at the same volume level anytime the unit is on and set for still photos, regardless of the IS setting.

Interestingly, the noise reduces in volume when movie mode is enabled. After hearing that IS is disabled during movie shooting, I would expect it to cease completely. I turned off movie audio and found no change in the noise level. Strange...

The noise is certainly not objectionable in my unit. I can imagine however that it might cause some problems were it enabled by firmware update to run during movie shooting as one of the other posters wished.

The push/pull MZ/EZ/Macro feature on the 12-50mm is nice too, although it had me a bit confused until I located the macro unlock button.

I am still exploring the menus, features, use, etc. I have to say that so far, it feels great and presents very well.
--
AirMel

Airmel's gear list:Airmel's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +12 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow