F770 EXR review on PhotographyBlog... not good news though

Started May 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
Kim Letkeman
Forum ProPosts: 32,313Gear list
Like?
Re: even simpler ...
In reply to Rachotilko, May 10, 2012

Rachotilko wrote:

So ... the differences are sometimes subtle, as ranted pointed out by Stephen. But your visceral reactions are subtle as well. You react to images without thinking about it (until later, when you might think about it. :-))

Hi Kim ... now I've reached (admittedly rather low) limits of my English comprehension. Are you trying to reprehend me ? I apologize if my tone was ... visceral.

Not at all

As I mentioned in our PM exchange, visceral reaction literally means "gut reaction", which is generally your first and lasting impression.

So a great image can be technically horrid if the subject is extremely compelling and still generate a really positive visceral reaction. We see this all the time with war images and images of victims or disasters etc. We see it now and again with images of really heart-warming moments. But people continue to mistake that visceral reaction for a license to shoot and process badly. 99.99999999% of images we shoot do not have that kind of subject. So they rely on technical quality to help generate a positive reaction.

So, for example, the EXR modes can improve subtle things like reduction of chroma blotching noise and of luminance grain. EXR modes (including PASM EXR shot at M size) can also improve edge definition, especially as ISO rises. And fine-grained, low contrast textures like water surfaces and distant foliage generally are rendered cleaner, which improves the feeling of "being there."

All that to say that it is somewhat difficult to generate an instant positive visceral reaction, but it takes almost no effort to prevent one.

Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow