Some upgrade questions. Fuji S2 to Nikon D700

Started May 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
instamatic
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,557
Like?
Re: Some upgrade questions. Fuji S2 to Nikon D700
In reply to mazster p, May 10, 2012

I have used the S3 and S5, D200 and D70. The D700 obliterates them all. It's simply newer and better technology, that one learns to appreciate by using the D700. Coming from the D200, one can start using the D700 without even opening the instruction manual.

With the D700 you will get faster speed all around. The body is more robust and controls are customizable (with some minor limitations). Exposure is easier with the D700 as the metering algorithms seems to have changed, and there is more elasticity in exposure, than say in the D200. In addition to that auto Active D-Lighting helps with exposure further.

The Fuji S3 and S5 still have slightly higher dynamic range, but to bring it out one has to postprocess the RAW files beyond what I now consider time-effective.

On the D700 ISO 1250 is great, ISO 2500 is the most I would use on the D700 without worries or further processing to reduce noise.

D700 autofocus actually helps you take photos faster and with more predictability.

The one drawback was that I had to re-learn exposure and color settings with the D700 as it behaves somewhat differently, but now in retrospect I consider it to be better than the earlier cameras.

I know I sound perhaps like a fanboy, but the differences were more impressive than I have anticipated.

So all in all, getting a couple of D700 might just incline you to sell all your earlier DSLRs.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow