F770 EXR review on PhotographyBlog... not good news though

Started May 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
Kim Letkeman
Forum ProPosts: 31,889Gear list
Like?
even simpler ...
In reply to Rachotilko, May 10, 2012

Rachotilko wrote:

Second: let's put it simpler: mum and Pop WILL find differences in IQ on their 7 x 5 prints.

This was the whole point of my wannabe technical tirade. EXR is not benefitial for pixel peepers, but people who don't want their gray hair have yellow/blue stains on it when photographen in really low light (and high ISO) and subsequently printed 7x5. This is where EXR really helps a lot.

I've proven time and again (counter-tirades notwithstanding) that there is a subtle and increasing difference between M size and L size. The L sized images always lose in the long run. The M size images retain better dimensionality and edge definition longer as ISO rises ... and as you pointed out, they resist chroma blotching much better. They also resist grain better.

So ... the differences are sometimes subtle, as ranted pointed out by Stephen. But your visceral reactions are subtle as well. You react to images without thinking about it (until later, when you might think about it. :-)) So improving subtle things like how edges are rendered and how texture and surfaces look (i.e. dimensionality) has a positive benefit. Reducing visible blotching has a very positive benefit.

And when we're taking about 5x7 prints, the resolution issues vanish completely. 8Mp is enough to make a good quality print right up to 13x19 (see: http://www.bythom.com/printsizes.htm ) so there is quite literally no reason to take the risk of using L mode, ever, for 99% of shooters ...

Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow