D700 tripod problem...

Started May 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
sweetsonic
Regular MemberPosts: 349
Like?
Re: You can spend $1,000 on a tripod, or $2000 - take your pick....
In reply to PaulBearer, May 10, 2012

I understand the argument, absolutely, and it's my general philosophy when purchasing most anything. However, when faced with the decision of starving my family or buying all top quality camera gear...well, you know what i'm saying. If I was making a living as a wildlife photographer, certainly it would be a different story. I have to cut corners somewhere, as much as I hate to.

I think for now, my Manfrotto setup will work fine with a D800 and

PaulBearer wrote:

Buy a Gitzo, a good ball head, and an L-Bracket - I prefer RRS, but Kirk and others are probably just as good - up to $1,000 out the door. You don't actually have to spend quite that much, but you get the point.

OR, buy a cheap tripod. Then buy a more expensive tripod, perhaps with a proprietary quick release mount. Then a better one. After a while you will have spent $1,000, and you'll still be unhappy. THEN buy a Gitzo and a good ball head with an arca-swiss mount, etc. You'll have spent $2,000, and have a bunch of left over parts no one wants. I know just how it works. Anyone want to buy a bunch of old tripods? Some have cracked plastic heads, and some are just junk, but I'll let them go cheap.

We have read this advice over and over again, and admittedly it's a pain to cough up the cost of a good carbon fiber tripod, a good ball head, and a series of L-Brackets as we keep upgrading our cameras. But, once you make the decision you aren't trying to decide what to buy over and over again over the next 10 years.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow