Why is an OM-D better than a Pentax K-5?

Started May 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
Laszlo13
Contributing MemberPosts: 782Gear list
Like?
Re: Why do birds suddenly appear...
In reply to zxaar, May 10, 2012

zxaar wrote:

Laszlo13 wrote:

hellocrowley wrote:

Honestly, I was interested in the OM-D until I saw that thread. It got me interested in the K5 and I started doing research about it.

The K5 is indeed small and lightweight (compared to other DSLR), the pancake lenses are crazily small and sharp. Great high ISO and DR beats FF cameras. For under $2000 I can get a body with 3 very nice pancakes. I dont know why it's not more popular.

Hmmm ... which pancakes?
a. they're expensive
b. they're not really fast
c. they're not really that fantastic

I've looked at Pentax a number of times. I really like their mentality in camera body design. But - I find their lens selection not that well thought out. Example: 15m f4 limited, it's about $800, comparable to the Oly 9-18 in size (closed) and weight - as well as image quality and speed. Yes it looks nicer, but I'd rather have the 9-18 zoom. Or for the same money, you can get the Oly 12mm with equal build quality and feel, but far better performance. The Panny 20mm 1.7 will beat the normal range pancakes in price, size and performance. The 70mm 2.4 looks nice - but here again the Oly 45mm 1.8 is probably better on all fronts. You'll loose the slightly bigger sensor advantage once the lenses are compared. If you're happy with the $2000 kit you've assembled on a wishlist, then by all means go for it (again, I always wanted either the K-7 or K-5) - but I was never satisfied with what I put together on B&H shopping list.

you are deluded.

Pentax is originally a optics company. You think they can't design good lenses. Seek a doctor.

I have already actually: Dr. Olympus

• but of course Pentax makes great optics, not just for cameras by the way (excellent astronomy eyepieces). But their combination of limited lenses doesn't suit me: due to lens speed, cost, and in some cases quality. I wasn't interested in their higher quality * lenses, due to size. The OP stated he's identified a great set of pancakes (so I assume the limited lenses) for $2000, I was curious which ones. When I debated about a switch, I found better options for my needs in micro 4/3.

Laszlo13's gear list:Laszlo13's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow