Started May 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
JNR
JNR
Senior MemberPosts: 1,911Gear list
Like?
Re: K20D vs. K-01 from user of both
In reply to JoeDaBassPlayer, May 10, 2012

Hi Kyle,

Thank you for stating exactly what your shooting needs are. This makes the pros and cons of your decision much easier to address.

First off, as a semi-pro shooter who uses all kinds of lenses including fast MF primes, I can tell you that for my needs the two cameras meet differing requirements (I have Canon too for very occasional demanding action AF needs). However, if the K20D is a bit intimidating I certainly understand that concern. Its features are complex.

By giving up the K20D you lose an excellent viewfinder, weather sealing and a better overall ability to handle the camera - especially with large and long lenses. The K20D is usually a little quicker but certainly no more accurate in AF when dealing with movement (neither of the bodies are very good at dealing with movement). None of these K20D advantages apply in regards to your particular needs unless the realty shooting involves a lot of outdoors inclement weather situations.

The K-01 will be easier to master, performs very well in low light, will give you very good ability to capture blue skies and shadows in contrasty sunlight (dynamic range), has a good enough screen to be used in bright sunlight (a billed cap helps even more), focuses manually very nicely in low light with your fast MF lenses (a huge benefit of focus peaking), can be more easily used on a lightweight tripod for interior shots (the K20D is much heavier), and has a very quiet shutter (Allen Toussaint in concert made a subtle comment about my K20D shutter noise - that wouldn't have happened with the K-01). As someone in real estate, you might find that video/audio shooting will be needed starting in the next few years - and the K-01 is more than adequate in IQ and easy to use for that basic video shooting purpose.

Good luck with your decision. It wouldn't surprise me to find real estate agents flocking to this camera, especially if they have some k-mount lenses already. It is small enough to be a grab and go camera, yet more durable and much higher quality than the compact P&S cameras many agents prefer due to desire for ease of use.

-- hide signature --
 JNR's gear list:JNR's gear list
Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 IF ED MC Pentax K-01 Pentax K-30 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow