Started May 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Scampi1965
Junior MemberPosts: 27Gear list
Like?
5DMKIII - Basketball and settings
May 10, 2012

Well I have my 5DMkIII with the 85 f1.8. I cannot tell you how exciting it was to fire off the first few shots. In full auto mode this beast tamed appalling light and without effort (or flash!) wonderful shots.

My question here is about setting for basketball. I have been to thee training courts and fired off a couple of hundred shots with different settings but I am just not sure I am harnessing the best options. This is after all a new body and new brand and much more advanced system than my previous Sony A700!

If anyone can assist with fine tuning or more in what I am selecting, I would be grateful (of course!). Some shots taken at training are included here.

Best settings for me as I saw it:

Aperture f2.0 (1.8 was a tad soft)
Auto ISO
Shutter speed 640
AE evaluative mode
AE compensation +.05 (local light compensation)

Focus – AF point Expansion (this seems wrong but I struggled with the Automatic AF selection mode as even with AI Servo set and the manual focus point set to the centre focus point, the tracking just did not seem to work as anything coming into the scene as I tracked the player caused the focus to move to the closest object that could be focused on which destroys the whole idea!
Focus – AI Servo (case 4 set)

That was about it. I left other setting alone as I am trying to figure out the basics here before I contemplate anything else (if I ever do!).

As always, thanks for any input.

Iain

-- hide signature --

As you slide down the bannister of life, may the splinters be kind to you.

Scampi1965's gear list:Scampi1965's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow