Started May 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JoeDS
Junior MemberPosts: 49Gear list
Like?
Exposure help with my d7000 needed
May 9, 2012

I am not new to photography, started almost 50 years ago with a Nikon Nikomat and Kodachrome II while in the Navy. I have since transisitioned to digital starting with the D70, then a D90, and now the D7000.

I love my D7000. It has taken some fantastic pictures. I travel a LOT and consequently am using "AUTO" quite often due to being on buses, trains, and ships where you often don't have the time to tinker with the controls and still get the picture. You pretty much have to leave it on AUTO to be ready to get a shot off quickly. I also shoot JPEG pictures, not RAW because I will take 3 or 4 thousand pictures on a several week vacation. So memory capacity and processing "fiddling" pretty much keeps me from using RAW. I take pictures to remember where I've been and relive the experience.

My low light shots with the D7000 are truly extaordinary, as are the typical scenery shots but I like many others are having trouble getting good exposure in scenery shots in full daylight. They often are a little washed out. I don't believe you can use exposure compensation in AUTO, but this camera has a real learning curve and I'm still on the lower edge of it.

The bottom line, based on my reading on the forums is the problem is probably me, not the camera. So I am asking for some help. What settings do suggest I need to tweek of the several thousand possibilities that would help me get around the overexposure issue in bright light using the AUTO setting.

PS I currently have the 18-200, 18-70, 16-85, and 70-300 mm nikon lens and usually shoot with the 16-85 or the 18-200 for most shots

JoeDS's gear list:JoeDS's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7100 Nikon D70 Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II +9 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow