Best companion lens to a CZ 24mm?

Started May 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
headofdestiny
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,222Gear list
Like?
Re: Best companion lens to a CZ 24mm?
In reply to MrT-Man, May 9, 2012

MrT-Man wrote:

I have the Zeiss 24mm, which I'm very happy with as my primary lens. I bought the NEX-7 without the kit lens (which might have been a mistake), and I'm trying to decide on another lens to complement the Zeiss.

It seems like the obvious choices would be the 18-200mm, the 18-55mm kit lens, or the 50mm 1.8 lens.

I know a lot of people would recommend the 18-200mm, but I don't really do any sports or wildlife photography -- so I'm not sure that I'd ever shoot anything over 100+ mm (am I wrong? I've never owned a telephoto).

As far as the kit lens, I really like the 18-55mm focal length, but it sounds like there's a fair bit of variation between copies, and that makes me nervous about getting one. Plus my impression is that it's got the worst image quality of the three alternatives I'm considering.

So I'm leaning towards the 50mm 1.8. Having a second fast lens might be a bit redundant, but I do like good bokeh & low-light photography. Along with the 24mm, would this be a solid combo that should cover me for 85% of situations? Or would I really be tying my hands by sticking to just these two focal lengths?

Appreciate any thoughts!

It really depends on your style and the type of photography that you like to do. FWIW, here are some of the most popular lens combinations for Leica users, in 35mm equivalents:

• a single 35mm lens, which you already have

• a single 50mm lens

• a 35mm and 75mm (or 90mm) lens

• a 28mm and 50mm lens

• a 28mm, 50mm, and 75mm (or 90mm) lens

Obviously, everyone has different preferences, but the above are pretty common combinations for Leica users, and the Sigma 19, Sigma 30, Sony 24 and Sony 50 allow you to get pretty close to any of those options.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow