ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
hello world
Regular MemberPosts: 331
Like?
Best Flash options for Macro
May 9, 2012

Hi all,

I'm recently coming into macro (started off about 2 months ago) using a m4/3 system and Panasonic Leica 45 1:1 macro.

I'm having trouble keeping the cam still at 1:1 magnification with F11-F16 aperture (obviously) where shutter speed gets into the very long, and have since modified my onboard flash with a DIY diffuser (read: Tissues and white tape) which seems to work OK for now, but not for long.

I'm going to invest into a flash system and am currently puzzeling between a twin head flash (Olympus offers one: STF-22) or going for an external flash solution using a diffuser and a macro flash bracket. Both solutions more or less will cost the same (hell of a prices on macro flash brackets for some pieces of metal...!?).

As I don't know exactly what to expect from each solution, as I have no experience, the cost associated with either one is also not helping, and the fact that neither solution is sold in my country - so I can't 'try out'. I'd like to ask your advise and experience using either twin flashes or a diffuser on an external flash. If you'd like.

I shoot mainly bugs, and mainly at 1:2 - 1:1x. I will shortly add the Kenko extension tubes and maybe a diopter to get into 2-3:1, pending a flash solution...

This is what I get using just the simple onboard flash (mind the 'awesome' rendering of DPR JPG compression.... the cam I use (G1) will be upgraded most likely with GH3, if it's performing well)

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow