D90 vs D7000 for sports

Started May 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
spbStan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,881
Like?
Re: Disagree with you
In reply to trumpyman, May 9, 2012

The D7000 has a a great many features that in combination results in the best DX camera available today. the d90 was a very competent camera but there are some weaknesses that pertain to sports. The MultiCam 4800 is much better faster and works into lower light than the MultiCam 1000 of the D90.

A bit of cropping option makes a big difference so a 70-200 2.8 s more useful for reach on a D7000 than a D90.

Files from a D7000 have a lot more recoverable detail in shadows due to its class beating low noise at base ISO, in that case better than the D3 or D700 for recoverable shadows.

I have 75,000 shots from my D90, a very competent reliable camera with good, again, class leading noise performance when it was released, Nikon's lowest noise DX. But the D7000 is the sure winner in that competition. I also have a D7000 and would think it would be a good sports camera as long as someone did not rely on "spray and pray" high speed hail-Mary sorts of shooting that beginners rely on.

If the light is good, the MultiCam 3500DX in the D300s is better for sports, since it is adapted from the base system of the D3 and D700. D300s are going cheap but they perform just a little worse than a D90 in low light.

Since you thing we owners of D90s do not understand their weaknesses or strengths, please inform us as to why you, as the sole owner who believes, the two cameras are equivalent.
--
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow