Is GPS more a Sales Gimmick than a Real World Benefit?

Started May 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
consultant1027
Forum MemberPosts: 74
Like?
Is GPS more a Sales Gimmick than a Real World Benefit?
May 9, 2012

I personally, have had no desire to use the GPS feature in my Panasonic ZS-7. I thought it would be an interesting discussion to look at how or how not people are getting real significant benefit from GPS.

I am an admitted techno-gadget addict, so it is odd for me not to be using this feature. I will admit, I have never really used it before. The reasons are:

1. I have never had any problem remembering where photos were taken and organizing my files by date and location.

2. Many of the reviews I read from users on various models complain of the tracking being problematic (takes long to get a signal, not accurate)

3. Many of the reviews confirm GPS is a significant battery drain, and in many cases continues to drain the battery while the camera is off unless you remember to turn GPS off.

4. I always have my iPhone on me so if I need to know where I am from a mapping or longitude/latitude aspect, I can easily get that info on my phone.

5. I don't have any special application use of my camera (work for forestry service, travel writer, road tripper, etc.) they may have specialized needs where GPS is a needed tool.

I'm just wondering, am I missing something here? Is there some BIG benefit I would enjoy that I've overlooked? Because if not, it seems more like some company decided to add a GPS as a feature to encourage more people to upgrade their cameras and then all the other manufacturers had to follow along - sort of like the increase in pixel density on sensors.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow