The Sony A57: Is it or is it not a superior camera to Canikon?

Started May 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
picthis
New MemberPosts: 12
Like?
Re: The Sony A57: Is it or is it not a superior camera to Canikon?
In reply to NowHearThis, May 9, 2012

Personally, I always prefer Canon's IQ, especially their tone & color. Of course personal preference aside, if you put 50 random pictures taken by the 3 cameras, even the best pros would have a hard time differentiating the cameras that took them.

I think it is best if you highlight which (features) are more important to you. Obviously Sony has better video resolution (60fps vs 30fps @ 1080). In the real world this may be a deal breaker for some, while not even a factor for others.

If you prefer speed. And use it mostly for action/sports, then you need to pick the one with the faster fps (along with a faster AF system).

Also you have to consider what the lenses cost. I mean the camera is only as good as the lens. A good lens on a T2i will beat a mediocre lens on a top-level DSLR.

Personally, for me, I think Canon's lens cost less. At least I can always find them for a lesser price. For example, the nifty Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II can be had for less than $100 while Sony Alpha 50mm f/1.8 DT SAM costs average of $130. And aftermarket lens available on Ebay are 100:1 in Canon's favor. That means you are more likely to find bargain priced lenses for upgrade. But if the slight difference doesn't bother you, then don't let this be a factor.

Perhaps it is more of a personal issue and maybe nothing to do with the quality of Sony's cameras. But from my personal experience, whether it be Sony Vaios (top end models), Sony Cybershot cameras - though they are usually spec'ed better than competitors, and have all sorts of whistles & bells, but they usually cost more and the build-quality is questionable at best. I find myself parting with Sony products not long after I purchase it. 1-2 years to be exactly. I may not be the most careful person in the world, but I'm not a bumbling idiot either. My other laptops, point & shoot cameras usually last twice as long. I remember being quoted outrageous prices for simple repairs by Sony, that was when I realized I'm just buying into their disposable fancyware. These bad experiences have tend to make me avoid Sony products, because they are just too fragile/overpriced for me.

On the other hand, the Canon G6 I bought 6 years ago, after being dropped dozens of times, sometimes down flight of stairs, still take picture as beautiful as 1st day I bought it. Though I don't use it as much, it is a testament to their decades of camera craftsmanship. Perhaps the Canon t3i I bought isn't built like before, but I rather take chances with Canon because the best camera is the one you paid for and get to enjoy it for years.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow