Flash vs Umbrella Lights: Difference in image clarity?

Started May 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
Nikonparrothead
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,207Gear list
Like?
Re: Flash vs Umbrella Lights: Difference in image clarity?
In reply to TotalNeophyte, May 9, 2012

TotalNeophyte wrote:

Hi all!

I am looking to do a project on a human body. I will be taking daily images of a shirtless individual and I have a lighting question:

Right now, I'm just using the flash on my DSC HX200v; I was wondering if my image would be clearer (like if I zoom in on the individual's face, when I look at the image on my computer) if I lit the subject from both sides with umbrella lights - instead of using the flash.

A. Would the image be clearer?

B. Would the lighting of the image be more consistent (would it look more similar, shot to shot)?

C. What other benefits would I have from lighting the subject instead of just using a basic flash?

Thanks all!

Hi, I just went to kelbytraining.com and there were 38 free "test drives" where you can access their classes for one day, for free. My first recommendaiton is to go there and check out Joe McNally's one-light video. It covers one flash on camera, off and through umbrellas.

If you miss out on that, the Lastolite School of Photography (available as video podcasts on itunes or at lastoliteschoolofphotography.com) you can look at videos that -- while demonstrate their products -- also demonstrate answers for the question you're asking.

Both resources are free (more or less on the Kelby).

-- hide signature --

'Nice pen, bet you write good stories with it.'

Nikonparrothead's gear list:Nikonparrothead's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1 Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon D3S +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow