Portraits of Children

Started May 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
Guidenet
Forum ProPosts: 12,429Gear list
Like?
Re: Portraits of Children
In reply to cmiller9, May 9, 2012

cmiller9 wrote:

She asked me to do this based off of other portraits that I took of my friend. She knows very well that I am an amateur and that she can hire a professional if she doesn't like the way that mine turn out.

I do not want to decline this opportunity to expand my experience as a photographer.. thank you for the links, I really appreciate it. I will probably end up renting a lens like the one you mentioned. Thanks again.

I know this. We all do, but you said:

My old coach said she wants to get her daughter into showbiz so she wants the photos to be perfect!

That's not easy for someone who's only ever tried once and has sub-optimal gear with a broken tripod. I would also guess you have no lighting whatsoever and in portrait photography that is number one. Even when you see top portraits that look like natural light, they often have a very complex arrangement of lighting and reflectors you don't see along with a photographer or lighting director who knows how to make it look natural yet better than natural. Go watch a movie set or advertising set and see what I mean, even outside.

I'm not suggesting you need the same gear and experience as a major movie set would need, but I am suggesting you move in the direction towards the gear and experience a starting portrait photographer would need. You get a little experience by taking those links and others I put up. You get the gear buy purchasing it and learning to use it. A single cheap monolight and umbrella would do for now along with a single reflector and someone to hold it for you. That should cost less than a decent Canon flash.
--
Cheers, Craig

Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

Guidenet's gear list:Guidenet's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF +23 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow