"Compromised lenses" - yuck.

Started Apr 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
Mako2011
Forum ProPosts: 14,939
Like?
Agree
In reply to Ilkka Nissilä, May 9, 2012

Ilkka Nissilä wrote:

First, the OP was discussing whether it makes sense to use lenses like 24-120 and 28-300 on a D800. The D800 has a 100% viewfinder so if you use a lens with heavy distortion on it (I do have a few examples but haven't time to dig them up from my archives right now) actually some visual components of the image that were visible in the viewfinder disappear in distortion correction.

I respectfully contend that with the advances in distortion correction software, in just the last six months, that that is not an issue with the 24-120 f4.

As to the mansurov test chart images you linked to, they are shot at different apertures.

Then we can use these shot at the same aperture. Note the corner sharpness of the 24-120 is better than the 24-70

24-120 f4 corner

24-70 f4 corner

Its not until f8 that the 24-70 catches up and at that point the 24-120 has more visible color fringing so a tit for tat.

Anyway, I think the important thing is that there are options available for different users (in the wide angle to short tele spectrum Nikon has done really well within the last five years or so, introducing many options of high quality) and we can choose what works for each of us best. There shouldn't be any need to get into arguments, or try to convince others that they're wrong - I apologize for my part.

That I agree on with sincerity. I simply get a bit annoyed when folks point to the 24-70 and say it " totally outperforms the 24-120 in just about every way you can measure it" when that is clearly not the case. Better to show the actual case and make an informed decision. Good Luck.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow