What will I loose with the 5Dlll vs. 7D for birding?

Started May 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
MikeFromMesa
Senior MemberPosts: 2,849
Like?
Re: What kind of birding?
In reply to Dr. Leonard, May 9, 2012

If getting close to the subject is important, and it usually is, the 1.6 factor of the 7D tilts me in its favor. Consider a 400 mm lens on the 7D. It's equivalent to 640. This means you would have to put the 600 on a FF, an enormous difference in weight and price.

While everything you say is true I think it is ignoring the fact that the 5D3 images are about 24% larger in pixel count and can be cropped more aggressively.

I frequently cropped my 7D images at 100% and, although I have not tried any rigorous tests (I cannot now - I traded my 7D for the 5D3) it seems to me that I can get about the same size bird images from the 5D3 through cropping as from the 7D through cropping.

One other thing to consider is that the 5D3 has a silent shutter mode which is pretty effective. While my 7D frequently frightened birds with its audible mirror-slap the 5D3 does not when in silent mode. The shutter may be slower, but it is much, much quieter and, for BIT, that makes quite a difference.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow