OM-D EM-5 Question

Started May 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
Bjorn_L
Senior MemberPosts: 4,456Gear list
Like?
Re: OM-D EM-5 Question
In reply to hungryhippo, May 9, 2012

hungryhippo wrote:

I was looking at the review of the Olympus OM-D and noticed that the high ISO shots are better than even a Nikon 7000. Why is this?

I was waiting for the new Nikon 7100 to come out in Sept...but now i am questioning whether I should wait.

I am most interested in high ISO since I'll be taking photos of swing dancers in low light. I think the auto focus performance might be way better though in the Nikon so I guess I'll end up waiting plus I'll need sports lenses.

Chris

I love the OM-D E-M5, fantastic little camera. Truely amazing quality in a small package. Even weather sealed. However the smaller sensor in that camera does not match the d7000. The sample images are a little misleading because of the amount of processing the Olympus applies to them.

This processing trades fine detail, contrast and so on for smoothing and then applies sharpening on top. This does not result in as good image quality as never losing the fine details. The same sort of result can be had with the d7000. The d7000 is the highest rated APS-C sensor thus far.

I' quite sure that once DXO finishes their analysis of the camera you will see a more precise value.

But back on your intended use. given that your subjects are moving in fairly low light you would be better served by a camera which tracks movement well. The Olympus has a liability there while with Nikon, it is one of their comparitive strengths. The other issue will be dynamic range. As ISO climbs DR (and color sensitivity) drops, and ISO will climb given what you will be shooting. Having more headroom in DR is an advantage since it will help the image from seeming flat and kinda boring.

I am sure you'd be happy with the OM-D E-M5 if you bought it. It is a very good camera. But I think you'd be even happier given yoru subject matter with a d7000 or possibly an eventual d7100. But just keep in mind you can never buy the future. There will always be something new and exciting just around the corner. The d7000 is a known entity. The d7100 or d8000 are not. If you have photos you'd like to take between now and 4-5 months from now it might not be worth it to wait. You can always sell it later and upgrade to the d300s replacement (d400 or d8000, I'd guess) as this one will be even more advanced in focus and motion tracking since the d300s is a sports body.
--

See my plan (in my profile) for what I shoot with. See my gallery for images I find amusing.

Bjorn_L's gear list:Bjorn_L's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5 Canon PowerShot SX30 IS Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow