Started May 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
Amadeus21
Contributing MemberPosts: 883
Like?
Re: OT: what monitor calibration parameters
In reply to phiri, May 9, 2012

@ phiri and NewsyL:

Tanks again...!

A normal printing lab "in the street" will not have a reasonable color management. Their machines are set to "sRGB" but that's all... In that case I do nat expect more. – on the other hand I have one printing (largeformat inkjet) lab with real color management, very expensive with Hahnemuehle and excellent color management for pictures for exhibitions.

Moreover I trust in the color realibility/exactness of my monitor more than in any picture of those cheap printing labs. This is no question of the gamut etc.

There are 2 aspects:

In the actual case, the pictures (delivered in real grayscale) I gave to the cheap lab, returned in a kind of "sepia" tone, because they seem not to have an exact balance in their RGB laser for exposing the pictures. For this I do not expect more accuracy! They gave their best.

BUT: in addition to the color fault, the pictures are very dark/dull, too. This can have two reasons: a) their machine is wrong evenmore in brightness setup, OR b) my own monitor setup is to bright! The pictures apperar too "shiny" on my monitor and it's me, who darkem them too much.

The two color calibration softwares I have do suppose two different brightness setups: a) 120 candela, b) 80 candela. Actual I have the setup with 120.

Again the simple question: For exact calibration, do I need to choose 80 or 120 candela?

This is not a question of taste but of numbers, for real color management provides "flying blind" and nevertheless having exact WYSIWYG.

-- hide signature --

Johannes

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow