Unified DPP DLO findings thread

Started Apr 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
Timbukto
Senior MemberPosts: 3,068Gear list
Like?
Haven't tried 1600 ISO yet, here is a DPP vs LR4 comparison I did however
In reply to AOKH, May 9, 2012

Two 100% crops and the image they come from. Was shooting my 17-55 2.8 at 17mm 2.8 to check on sharpness and the affects of DLO. IMO the 17-55 2.8 is already very sharp at f2.8 here but with DLO it doesn't really let it have a hint of softness into the most extreme corners. This is the bottom frame of the picture, the rest of the image in the background is OOF.

This is what I find interesting in some DLO sharpening vs LR4 USM. Even with a healthy mask of 25, LR4 even by default (no sharpening) already sharpens/demosiacs pretty heavily by default. Notice how the OOF bushes and grass in the background still have a lot of grain/noise. Also it clearly looks to me that LR4's default sharpening makes the slight OOF background here more busy, where as DPP leaves the OOF elements smooth and less busy/straining to look at. Same as with my daughters face, far more noise/grain in LR4. LR4 always has a pleasing color rendition however, more earthy warm tones that are saturated, etc.

I'll go look for high ISO examples to play with now.

Timbukto's gear list:Timbukto's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow