Attempts at fast focus response with X-Pro.

Started May 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
chooflaki
Regular MemberPosts: 397Gear list
Like?
Attempts at fast focus response with X-Pro.
May 9, 2012

I tried out these technique based unscientific shots with the X-Pro in normal and low/very low light to check the response of the the AF. My technique was to have my back to the target and turn around and press the shutter quickly without half press as soon as the focus box was over the target without any hesitation. I used wider apertures on AP, AF-S, preset ISO, smallest focus box and everything else on standard.

The first three photos were repeated in manual focus for almost identical results.

Nearly all shots locked on.

I missed the stairwell and the tree. Don't know what happened with the stairwell. Perhaps too much shake. On the tree I focused on the metal possum prevention covering sheet which has little contrast. The moving car was travelling at around 50km. Aside from camera shake most turned out well.

Avoiding the half press altogether once the focus box is fully on a target which has enough contrast seems to work very well for almost instant lock on. This applies well with the X100 also. The only focus issues I still have is unreliable focusing in low light on fast moving objects. Hopefully practice and firmware updates will improve on this.

chooflaki's gear list:chooflaki's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Fujifilm FinePix S3 Pro Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro +2 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow