Speculation: A E-50 return to E-XX "SLT" roots?

Started May 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Macx
Senior MemberPosts: 1,412Gear list
Like?
Speculation: A E-50 return to E-XX "SLT" roots?
May 9, 2012

I was wondering how the reaction would be to a return to the "SLT", beam-splitting prism of the E-10 and E-20 would be? To me, there seems to be a lot of advantages, that would distinguish it from the dominating dSLR's of Nikon and Canon, and pit it against the Sony A55 and A57's.

I thin,k the next Olympus E camera has to be in the E-XX range rather than at the higher price point of the E-X models to be competitive, and ditching the mirror is one way of keeping the cost low and the feature-set high. An E-50 with the sensor and IBIS of the E-M5, but with proper PDAF and perhaps a tweaked imaging processor and finder, in a solid E-30/E-1 sized body, would be a great camera.

It would give you the advantages of the mirror-less, but with the addition of PDAF to get the most of the lenses. No mirror equals less expensive and more reliable build. Quieter operation, less shutter lag, faster sequential shooting. By sacrificing the OVF for an EVF, you get the live white balance, tone control, EV adjustment and filter preview. For the added cost of a beefier imaging processor and a separate high speed viewfinder sensor, you'd get no shutter black-out. A separate viewfinder sensor would mean it wouldn't be stabilised, though, so perhaps it's not ideal, but it could be optional.

Also, such a camera might be a technological stepping stone to the eventual true hybrid four-thirds camera that'll merge the formats, something I imagine will be in the form of a bigger brother to the E-M5 with optional adapters and grips.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow