Started May 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mra1948812
Junior MemberPosts: 43Gear list
Like?
Minolta AF 24-105 on A57?? Help
May 9, 2012

Went out today to test the Minolta 24-105 as opposed to the kit lens on my new A57. I left the camera set to 1st curtain mode and shot in mostly AV. It focused fine and everything looked good through the finder. About 100 shots later I got this mysterious "camera error" warning on the LCD that froze up all functions, which I never got yesterday during 400 shots with the kit lens. So I did a power off-on and everything was fine for about 20 more shots then the same message came up again. This time I removed the lens, remounted it, and all was well for the remaing 50 shots on the day.

Got home and started processing the shots and thought the color was a little richer and the fine detail a little better than with the kit lens but that's when the real problem showed up. In shots where there were areas of white or lighter colors when I cropped my usual amount I noticed that quite severe purple fringing was evident. I never saw this from the 24-105 lens when I used it on my old 7D and it didn't show up yesterday using the kit lens.

Have any of you noticed this problem with the same camera lens combo? Should I have shut off the 1st curtain mode when using the 24-105? Would miscommunication between the lens and camera cause the weird error message. I was thinking of eventually getting the the Sony Zeiss 16-80 but wonder if the same issues might surface with the A57, too. Any help/info you can provide on these issues would be greatly appreciated. I really like the A57 and hope this isn't a sign I got a malfunctioning sample. Thanks, Joe

mra1948812's gear list:mra1948812's gear list
Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow