Started May 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
KyleSlamchez
Regular MemberPosts: 125Gear list
Like?
Sell K20D for K-01?
May 8, 2012

Believe it or not, I'm a pro photographer who has always used digital compacts for my work, which is simple marketing and realty photographs that go straight to the web or small brochures. (sacre bleu, I know!).

Last year, I picked up a used K20D on Craigslist, and I've been playing around with it. The only dSLR I've owned before was a Nikon D40, which I loved but was stolen out of my pick-up a couple years ago.

I'd like to expand my photography work to portraits and concert coverage, but I feel feel the K20D may be too much camera for me. It's quite large, and I prefer something lighter (for me) and less intimidating (for my subjects).

Low-light performance is very important to me, as is portability.

Of course, I'm also looking closely at other mirrorless cameras like the Sony NEX-5n and the Olympus OMD EM-5.

Why the K-01?

1) Live View with focus peaking.

2) I can use my old Pentax MF lenses without spending more money on new lenses.

3) It may be larger than some of the other mirrorless offerings, but I would guess that results in a larger, better sensor. Am I wrong?

4) For candids, my hope is subjects would be less intimidated by something that looks like a big yellow Lego brick.

KyleSlamchez's gear list:KyleSlamchez's gear list
Pentax K20D Olympus PEN E-PL1 Pentax K-01 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +4 more
Nikon D40 Pentax K-01 Pentax K20D Sony Alpha NEX-5N
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow