Do you use pop-up flash on your D800

Started May 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
David H Dennis
Regular MemberPosts: 277Gear list
Like?
Re: Do you use pop-up flash on your D800
In reply to Flashlight, May 8, 2012

Flashlight, a good point and well put. The type of photography I do is more the run and gun documentary style, so I don't have that much choice in how to deploy flash. However, a real flash (as opposed to on-camera) can at least be bounced off the ceiling, which softens the light.

My camera store guys showed me a pretty cool gadget that works with the LED light. It's an arm that you can let rise high above you or be tilted to the left or right. So you mount it on the camera, mount the light on it, and at least have the chance to move the light around so it's not so blatantly direct. I tried it with the D3S and it seemed to contribute negligible weight to the rig.

Has anyone used something like that, and if so how's it work for you?

Also, Flashlight, I can see by your name you are a flash aficionado. What's your take on continuous LEDs vs flash? I really like the idea of being able to see the lighting in the viewfinder before I shoot, and it seems like a small amount of continuous light might be less annoying for subjects than a blinding flash. What are your thoughts?

D

David H Dennis's gear list:David H Dennis's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Canon Pixma Pro9000 Mark II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow