VR advice please

Started May 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
John M Roberts
Senior MemberPosts: 1,458
Like?
Re: elaboration please
In reply to Bob GB, May 8, 2012

Bob GB wrote:

On a tripod the mass of the camera and lens together with the stiffness of the tripod head makes a vibration system with a resonance frequency at which this system will vibrate if excited in any way. If the camera/lens mass is smaller the resonance frequency is higher. If this resonance is above what the VR system can handle it will not work properly.

In your case the frequency of the bridge is far below any problem frequency for the VR system. However, the vibration on top of the tripod is not effected and is (probably) still above what the VR system can handle.

I'm a bit confused by your explanation. "However, the vibration on top of the tripod..." vibration coming from the bridge? Do you mean the top of the tripod is not affected by the vibration from the bridge in the same manner as is when handheld? I can imagine that it would transfer to a different frequency.

What you can do is putting your hand on the lens or camera and thus dampens any possible high frequency vibrations caused by the tripod. Instead your hand will add low frequency movements but still much less than if you are handholding the camera.

By doing so then the VR would be able to help or would that make the overall setup too solid to apply VR? Unfortunately I do not have a similar scenario to duplicate to test presently.

Thanks for the breakdown.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow