OM-D EM-5 - High Iso Banding?

Started May 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
cbran
New MemberPosts: 23
Like?
Re: OM-D EM-5 - High Iso Banding?
In reply to JL Auch, May 8, 2012

I noticed something similar yesterday when I used the 20mm on my OM-D and your thread prompted me to investigate more deeply.

MY CONCLUSIONS:

At high ISOs (primarily around 6400 for me) with RAW files I see banding ONLY WITH THE 20mm f1.7 LENS . Sometimes there is no banding at all, but most of the time it's there.

It is quite variable, however, both in distribution across the frame and in spacing .

For example, sometimes the banding affects the entire image; sometimes only the top 50%; sometimes only the top 85%. When looking at the thickness/spacing of the banding with 100% crops, sometimes I see 3 bands per inch on my monitor, sometimes 5 bands per inch, sometimes 8 bands per inch, and sometimes 15-20 bands per inch.

In addition to testing the 20mm lens, I tested a manual focus legacy lens (Zeiss 35mm f1.4) plus 3 other Panasonic lenses: the 14mm f2.5, the 45mm f2.8, and the 25mm f1.4. I also tested the Olympus 45mm f1.8. NONE OF THESE OTHER LENSES EXHIBITED BANDING in my tests.

Could it be that the 20mm lens itself is causing some kind of interference pattern? I haven't tested the lens at high ISOs in any other room than my office, but the fact that I don't see banding with other lenses suggests to me that any interference is coming from the lens itself, not other equipment in the room, though perhaps there is some weird interaction going on.

I will be happy to show crops of sample pictures as soon as I prepare some but wanted to share my results in the meantime.

I'd love to hear what others think about this and see results from other people's tests.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow