Kiddie photos in Challenges

Started May 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
DaanTL
New MemberPosts: 10Gear list
Like?
Re: Kiddie photos in Challenges
In reply to ConanFuji, May 8, 2012

You are certainly entitled to your opinion and to whatever rules you impose on your challenges, but I think your suggestion that it is easy to capture GENUINE emotions in a child in an aesthetically pleasing way is absurd and somehow makes me believe doesn't come from personal practical experience. To me, children make at the same time incredibly interesting and yet very challenging photographic subjects. They experience the world in a fundamentally different way than adults and can go through a whole spectrum of emotions in a manner of minutes, but rarely on command as you seem to be suggesting (at least mine don't). Kids do not protest, are you serious? You must not be around them very often! Moreover, they are largely unpredictable in their movements, and have complete disregard of what makes a good setting, good light, or interesting composition, so it actually takes a lot of effort for all of those factors to come together and great joy to me the rare occasions it happens. Granted, I am biased, as 99% of the photos I enter here are of my kids, but to each his own, right?

ConanFuji wrote:

To vgabor,

For the emotions challenge, as well as other challenges, personally I do not take kiddie shots seriously. IMO I don't value the content coming from kiddie shots.

It's like a challange host asking for shots of beautiful natural parks like Yosemite, and someone pops out a low effort shot of their backyard.

Kids do not protest or put you in your place like a stranger would if you took his photo. IMO, It's the easy way out! A selling out.

I will go on to explain about succulent fruits and how I hate shots of fruits dunked in water which was entered. (if you don't know what I'm talking about, stop reading now). The use of water as a prop IMO is to gain visual advantage which gives an unfair leg up on the real succulent fruits.

It's like asking for Natural Beauty, and someone submit a shot of a lady with heavy make-up. It's unfair, and someone needs to tell the entrants it's not ok with him.

DaanTL's gear list:DaanTL's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II VC LD Aspherical (IF) Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow