ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Dan Goldman
Contributing MemberPosts: 663Gear list
Like?
To Switch or not to Switch ?
May 8, 2012

It's been a long wait for the 5D3.

My jump into digital started with the D300 and in 2005 I made the giant leap to 5D.

It has served my hobby well. I also have a bunch of L lenses and various accessories.

I skipped the 5D2 mainly because the AF was not upgraded. The jump in resolution almost doubled (12-21). I also followed the debate about banding and I guess that put me off too.

So I kept my good old 5D, and I must say this camera is still better than me. In very few situations I could have done things easier had I used a higher iso. Except for one thing: and that is the lack of outer focus cross sensors. Shooting quite a lot of portraits, standing or head shots, "center-focus-recompose" is a lousy method especially when using shallow dof and not doing this for a living to perfection.

I finally made my mind up and decided to go ahead with the purchase of 5D3.

UNTIL the D800 made a splash and completely rocked the boat. Are we now scrambling for the life boats ?

So, I spent several days going through my collection of pictures since 2005.

I think my conclusion is a rational one.

Apart from the fact that I am a gear head, I can say that the vast majority of my pics - except those suffering from bad focus - the 5D is still a hugely competent camera. Not once did I have to push shadows over the threshold of showing banding. Very seldom I had to shoot over iso 1600.

So the switch to the D800 would probably be irrational and very costly. Just because someone CAN push shadows 5 stops with a new sensor, doesn't mean it's a useful feature in the day-to-day-work. Try pushing a picture 2 stops and it will instantly look weird, at least to my eyes. Most of the hdr out there looks fake to me. The D800 doesn't have outer(spread out) af cross sensors to enhance model shooting.

I think Canon has delivered a killer cam, making an upgrade from 5D first generation, well worth it.

And the price hike, well, I guess you get what you pay for (I think the devaluation of the dollar has influenced the price hike a lot)

Anybody else thinking along these lines ?

Here is a pic from the weekend taken with the 7 years old 5D click twice. I know it's got a few distracting elements... cc appreciated.

Dan

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D300 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow