Extraordinary Building - How to Avoid Distortion... (IMGS)

Started May 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
RoelHendrickx
Forum ProPosts: 21,929
Like?
Extraordinary Building - How to Avoid Distortion... (IMGS)
May 8, 2012

There have been other occasions where I have made photos of the new Court Building in Antwerp (a design by Richard Rogers and his team). This was mostly in series of pictures of events organized inside the building.

Like this :

And this:

But I had never been quite happy with any of my photos of the exterior of the building, because standing low on the square in front of it and looking up, the distortion was very pronounced.

Moreover, no clear view was possible of the most impressive feature : a collection of curved roofs above the various court chambers, that vaguely resemble ship sails. From below, one can only see the first row of roofs, and a hint of what is behind them.

On a rare occasion I had made a telephoto shot from very far, but this was with almost all of the city between me and the building :

Last week I finally saw my chance to get shots without distortion, by getting to a higher location, normally not accessible. Sometimes a photographer's main asset is his tongue, used for just simply asking permission to reach an uncommon vantage point.

In this case, construction workers were replacing windows on the top floor of a building across the square from the Court Building. I yelled up at them and got permission to ride the elevator up to shoot from the windows they were working on. They even let me go up on the roof.

From there I could aim at the building from roughly the same heigth as the top (main) floor of the building, allowing me to finally get shots that I feel do the architecture more justice :

7mm:

18mm:

35mm:

A helicopter ride would still be nice, though...

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx

lots of images : http://www.roelh.zenfolio.com

my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow