Started May 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
SirLataxe
Senior MemberPosts: 1,296
Like?
Power
May 8, 2012

Should western society regress (or even if it should progress to something better than Big Corp World) we citizens might need to be rather more self-suffient than heretofore. Even if the current economic model persists, for many it will make sense to reduce the cost of buying basic services (food, shelter and power) from "outside" since the amount and/or value of our buying-money is going down & down.

Personally I make furniture-to-last from scavenged (i.e. free) timber; the ladywife spins, sews and knits. We grow a fair amount of our fruit and veg. I notice that other folk hereabouts are also begining to generate their own power. Here is an example and also a contrast between the then-now and a possible future for power production & consumption:

That windmill was constructed from a kit by a local farmer. He is now generating enough electricity for his farm but also a small surplus which he sells to the National Grid. Last month he was sucking juice down from those wires carried by the big pylon (coming from the local nuclear power station, btw); this month he is putting some back in.

A flyer came through the door last week, advertising the services of a company who installs various forms of generating equipment. They offer windmill generators in sizes down to 1.5KWh (but also up to "massive"). There are solar panels, ground heat pumps and so forth. Also a means to store electric juice in a gubbins that will output 240V AC to run normal household stuff, when the wind ain't blowing or the sun ain't shining.

Has anyone out there experience of this old-new technology for generating personal power & heat? I would be interested to hear of your experiences as such technology seems like a good idea just now.

SirLataxe, who would really like to tie a banker on to a stationary bicycle, driving an alternator. (Giddyup, ye varlet!)

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow