D800 - Not much better then my D300s, what am I doing wrong?I received my D800 but th

Started May 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
peterohara
New MemberPosts: 22
Like?
Re: D800 - Not much better then my D300s, what am I doing wrong?I received my D800 bu
In reply to mrwilkins, May 8, 2012

mrwilkins wrote:

Looking at those two photos side by side scaled to the same size, I can see a distinct overall softness in the D800 photo that's not in the D300s photo.

There are multiple things going on here -- your lens is at a different focal length between the two images, which wide open might cause a difference in sharpness. The larger FX sensor has a shallower depth of field at a given aperture. There may be vibration going on, and as others have pointed out, 1/8 second is just about the worst shutter speed for vibration when using a tripod.

That said, the fact that I can see a difference in sharpness at even at a reasonable screen viewing size for each full image tells me that one of those issues is causing you problems in this comparison. Mirror lock-up, using a higher ISO to get your shutter speed up, or shooting a test scene in brighter light that gives you a fast shutter speed at f/8 or so all would give you a test that's less susceptible to issues with technique or performance of your specific lens at different focal lengths.

Thanks for the feedback, I will be taking all of this into account today when doing more tests
Pete

Edit: One other factor is that you have to go 50% longer on your focal length to get about the same FOV on the D800. This in itself amplifies the effect of vibration, by magnifying it when you zoom in.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow