I like Ken Rockwell, dxomark a lot less and what is a good picture...

Started May 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jerome_munich
Contributing MemberPosts: 736
Like?
I like Ken Rockwell, dxomark a lot less and what is a good picture...
May 8, 2012

Actually, I like Ken Rockwell and I don't quite understand why people become so irate about his web site. He writes about aspects of cameras and photography which I find seldom treated here, like the ergonomic aspects of using a camera to compose a picture. I also find his series on how to take better pictures enlightening.

I also find the sort of contempt by which some members here regard any one who is not obsessed about arcane measurements somewhat unsettling. I admit that I indulge in pixel peeping as well sometimes, but I don't think it is the measure by which we should judge all things in photography, is it?

Dxomark is, maybe, the exact opposite of Ken Rockwell: one publishes pictures (and even sells them in galleries, which I admit not being able to do), the other just publishes figures. I am not very impressed by dxo figures, I never found them to match to actual photography practice. Besides, dxo themselves admit that a difference of so many points is not significant when some users will obsess that camera A is better than camera B because it is 1/10th of a point better... And dxo will not tell me how to take better picture, just ones with less technical defects - maybe.

Probably, the difference in opinion boils down to what one thinks a good picture is: the technology tour-de-force, or a picture which moves people. So my question is: what is a good picture for you?

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow