ZD7-14mm : a Walk with ONLY Ultra Wide Angle

Started Apr 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
RoelHendrickx
Forum ProPosts: 21,687
Like?
I've learned how to shoot blindly, BUT...
In reply to Skeeterbytes, May 8, 2012

Skeeterbytes wrote:

Thank you, Roel, I value your feedback!

It's taken me awhile to learn how to capitalize on an unltrawide's unique capabilities. Once one gets over the shock and delight of sweeping fields of view and limitless DOFs, the creative challenge is what to do with all that capability. I enjoy getting very close to my subject, which means I'm forever dodging my shadow, as well as the stray fingers, feet and camera straps. (This is an area where a zoom is far more flexible than an ultrawide prime.)

Yes, those can be annoying. OTOH, including them deliberately can be an option.

Maybe the ultrawide shooter's best friend is the articulated display, which allows shooting from my shoetops and from as far overhead as I can stretch.

Over the years I have learned how to shoot blind with a few focal lengths. But wide-angle is hard. In my strictly personal opinion, the 8mm FE, though wider (because the 7mm from the 7-14 is corrected), is easier to shoot blindly with. Maybe because the perspective always looks funky in any case... Whatever the reason, I have become quite comfortable with shooting the 8mm from the hip or with dangling arm or in whatever other position. This does not work so well with the 7-14mm. Whenever I shoot blind with the 7-14mm at its widest setting, I am amazed by what is in the frame (and what isn't).

Unlike riding a bicycle, when I've not used the lens for awhile I need to "relearn" my techniques. And just like that, I'm hooked on it again.

I am so obsessively occupied with photography and I make such a rapid rotation of all my gear, that there is hardly a chance to unlearn...

Cheers,

Rick

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx

lots of images : http://www.roelh.zenfolio.com

my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow