D800 - Not much better then my D300s, what am I doing wrong?I received my D800 but th

Started May 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
ScottRH
Senior MemberPosts: 1,590
Like?
Re: D800 - Not much better then my D300s, what am I doing wrong?I received my D800 bu
In reply to thejohnnerparty, May 8, 2012

This is exactly correct and very well stated. thank you.

thejohnnerparty wrote:

I'm not so sure you get 2x more resolution. I do agree that you get more but not 2x. This is my reasoning: the dimension of an FX sensor is ~ 24x36mm. The dimension of the DX is ~ 16x24. Clearly the FX sensor is bigger than the DX sensor. BUT! The D800 has a pixel density of ~ 41,667 pixels/ sq mm. The D300s has a pixel density of ~ 31,250. The difference in pixel density is 10,417 pixels / sq mm. I believe it is the pixel density, not the size of the sensor that accounts for the difference in resolution. What this gives you is a more or less 33% increase in resolution in the D800 over the D300s. Also, you get a significant increase in the field of view because of the larger sensor, but more field of view is not more resolution. And, oh, BTW, the D7000 has the same pixel density as the D800! ...... But that's just my opinion. Anyone care to add to this discussion?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow