TG-1 Officially Announced

Started May 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
happypoppeye
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,722Gear list
Like?
Looks great...
In reply to travelinbri_74, May 8, 2012

Well ...first off ...how is Afghanistan? ...stiil there or back?

..ok to the post ...after 5 some 7 years since I even picked up a compact I bought a panny ts20 to go to songkran with me in Thailand this year ...wow, they have come far since the canon G2 and G3 ...my buddy had an Oly TG-810 waterproof with him ...after coming home and processing some 800 photos so far out of both cameras ...I am highly highly impressed with the Oly TG-810 output ...some absolutely fantastic photos IQ wise that I did not expect ...up to SLR standards ...not quite, but print them 8x10 and smaller and it's tough to tell the difference. Figuring how the TG-810 is a few years old now I'm thinking the TG-1 may be even better and I'm in as of right now.

These little guys are fun fun fun ...take em' with you, throw em' around, go to the bar, give to other people to take pics and not worry ...something I never did with my SLR's ...and that is worth a lot ...using the panny I had, maybe the funnest time I ever had with a camera, and that thing is a total piece of junk, yet, the photos I came home with hold the memories every bit as well as any pic I have ever took with the SLR ...my whole outlook on equipment has changed. Smaller, lighter, easier ...just fun.

Sorry for the story ...but the TG-1 looks great, and even if it is a let down, Oly is going in the right direction, and thats a good thing.

Here's a mix of crappy shots from the trip (the crappier ones are from the panny) ...I would have none of these if I didn't jump on the waterproof bandwagon, so IQ is negligible considering I actually got photos - all for fun:

travelinbri_74 wrote:

I was actually looking forward to this announcement. I have wanted companies to go in a more serious direction with their rugged compacts for a while. However, unless reviews say otherwise, the fact they did not put the XZ-1 sensor in the camera is a real disappointment. I basically want a XZ-1/Panny LX-5/Canon S-100 type in a rugged, waterproof package... and would have gladly paid 100$ more for it.

Obviously I will wait to hear user and professional reviews, but any other initial thoughts?

-TBri

-- hide signature --

http://www.wanderinground.wordpress.com
http://www.pbase.com/happypoppeye

It's almost all opinion folks, gonna have to deal with it.

Equipment: 1 Finger, an eye, a camera body and 50mm (equivalent) lens, half a brain, and a lot of money leftover to spend on using that equipment

happypoppeye's gear list:happypoppeye's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow