SPP: White Balance Setting relevant when using color picker?

Started May 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
yvind Strm
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,129
Like?
Re: SPP: White Balance Setting relevant when using color picker?
In reply to ArvoJ, May 8, 2012

Paulo, I support Arvo on this. File size is not evidence enough.

Apart from those instances (in the past) where some wb settings were broken (initially Flash with SD14) I find that it doesn't matter what WB you set (on SD14 that is). However, I will write a more comprehensive psot on this later.

ArvoJ wrote:

Paulo Ferreira wrote:

White Balance on Foveon is not a comutative composition of functions. With this I mean eg that "Sunlight" on camera followed by whatever on SPP is different of "whatever" on camera plus "Sunlight" on SPP. I said this here on and on...

Take the same picture with different WB settings on camera and you will get different RAW file sizes. The sizes are substantially different from setting to setting. This means that WB on Foveon is more than "flag" notes on the file. Somehow the capture will follow different subroutines depending on which WB you have set on your camera.

Most likely wrong.

What makes file size different is a) differences in compressed raw data (even in ideal conditions you can't capture two sets of same data) and b) differences in preview jpeg file (which is WB dependent and compressed).

WB setting (and color mode etc) on camera may affect metering, but not recorded raw data. I can't find currently, but I remember reading here about some experiments (probably provided by Chris Rijk) with changing in-camera WB values and analyzing resulting raw data - there was no statistically significant difference between different captures from same scene.

-- hide signature --

Arvo
Sigma/Foveon information collection and little gallery:
http://www.stv.ee/~donq/sigma.htm
http://www.stv.ee/~donq/images.htm

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow