New purchase or keep the gear I have...? Help please.

Started May 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Deso
Regular MemberPosts: 159
Like?
New purchase or keep the gear I have...? Help please.
May 8, 2012

Hello Everyone,

Would it be possible to advise me on what to purchase?
I currently have a Panasonic GF1 + Pana 20mm f1,7 + Oly 45mm f1,8.

Although I like this combination, I feel I'm not using the 20mm a lot. Also switching lenses all the time can be a pain.

I do a lot of protraits and I feel I need distance for a good portrait, the 20mm forces me to go too close.
Anyway, I have to oppurtunity to sell my GF1+20+45 for a -really- good price.

I like just about everything from the GF1, except the JPG's that come out of the camera. I also would like a little bit more resolution so cropping wthout too much loss would be an option.

Video mode was also better on my NEX-5, and I do miss that sometimes. I LOVED peaking on the nex too, although looking back on my pictures with it, I can't find the sharpness I have with the GF1 + prime combo.

I know this is logical, but I hope the SEL18-55 that comes with the NEX-5N (together with a better internal processing of the pictures) could have fixed that.
So now I have the following call to make:

1)Keep the package, and buy an E-pm1 with 14-42MK2 lens (I have a shop nearby that sells this combo for 279euro which is amazingly cheap).

That way I would have 2 bodies (is this a plus or a negative point?) and the following lenses: 14-42 MK2, 20mm, 45mm.

2)Sell the package and buy the following: E-pl3 + 14-42MK2 + 40-150 + 45mm f1,8.

This combo would give me better JPG output, better reach (because I need a telephoto lens) and would lose the 20mm which is fantastic in size, but I don't use it much.

I'm worried about the video mode and the jelly effect, although I would have a very nice set of lenses.

3)Sell the package and buy the following: NEX-5n + 18-55 + 55-210

As you can see, there's no prime included in this package. This is to keep the price the same as the E-pl3 package.

Adding the 50mm f1,8 would pump up the price considerably, right into a price area that I wouldn't like to go into.

4)Keep the package and stop having the camera-purchase fever and learn how to use the GF1 and improve my photography skills instead.

Perhaps buy a telephoto lens seperately and wait for the september release of new Olympus cameras.

Constructive feedback is very much apreciated!
Thanks for reading.

Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-5N
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow