D4 Battery Life Fail.

Started May 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
michaeladawson
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,421Gear list
Like?
Re: D4 Battery Life Fail.
In reply to em_dee_aitch, May 8, 2012

I agree in principle with what you are saying. I guess I wish I knew how the calculation was done. I suppose AA batteries meet the specs because they are only 1.2V. Put 6 of them together to get the 7.2V to run the camera and you are talking about a larger size than the D4 battery. But now you have up to 2800 mAh of juice.

em_dee_aitch wrote:

Nippondenso wrote:

bikinchris wrote:

The new Canon 1DX has a smaller battery also.
There goes your conspiracy theory.

So, what you are really saying is Nikon and Canon aren't allowed to build a battery with a capacity larger than 2,000 mAh? Does this mean that if a piece of equipment requires 9,000 mAh the manufacturers are required by law to supply a 2,000 mAh battery and let the customer suffer? Sorry, but unless someone can give a logical reason why Nikon isn't using a larger battery I will say it is just bunk on Nikon's part.

The law relates capacity to size/weight, so it's a matter of form factor. You could have the 9 Ah battery, but it would just have to be physically larger... It' a safety nanny law designed to keep small energy-dense units from overheating. I'm amazed it came out of Japan. It sounds more like something the TSA would concoct using airline safety as a rational.

-- hide signature --

David Hill
http://www.sanfranciscoweddingphotographer.com
San Francisco & San Jose, CA | Austin, TX
Wedding Photographer and Apparent Gearhead

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow