D800 focus issues: Return, or repair?

Started Apr 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
dooman51
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
Re: This is inaccurate and misleading
In reply to Oscarroos, May 8, 2012

I am a professional Wedding tog and I also have a studio (which the d800 was bought for) I have 2 x d3s's 14-24/24-70/70-200 and 24mm,35mm.50mm,85mm 1.4G lenses.

My camera is currently back with Nikon Australia to get 'fixed' although I am doubtful that it can be to be honest.

This is what I know for sure.

The camera is extremely slow to find focus in the studio it hunts and takes an eternity, of course the client will lose 'the look' and interest, so its virtually useless to me. Yes it is a dark environment but 4 Elinchrom RX modelling lights really shoud be enough. My D3s's snap to focus instantaneously.

On every lens I own, wide open aperture is not usable and back focuses by a fair way.

I can stop it down to f5.6 and they are pretty good then, yes I understand that technique is more important wide open but I have also tried this on a tripod using timer with no difference.All my lenses the left side focus point is totally unusable. Right side is marginally better all were tested on a tripod as well. Center point is ok given the aperture is around f5.6 or above. Continuous mode is virtually useless in any situation. It will be interesting to see if they address the problems and of course I will keep you all posted.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow