preferred video settings

Started Feb 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
N13L5
New MemberPosts: 18Gear list
Like?
Re: preferred video settings
In reply to JoeToe83, May 8, 2012

If I'm not overlooking something, the Nex-5N doesn't support 1920x1080 resolution in MP4, otherwise, I'd probably shoot MP4 for convenience.

Since I like to pull stills out of the footage sometimes, I don't want to go to a lower resolution than 1980x1080, so I keep shooting in AVCHD, even though its so far turning out to be an annoying format to work with.

Sony's Software doesn't even pull the clip info off the camera, which is needed for editing AVCHD format video. Its conversion options are poor too, (incapable of 1920x1080 MP4 conversion), and the upload (public sharing) function is miserably poor, hanging up on the slightest connection issue, and will revert to zero, even after uploading 8 individual pictures from a batch of 30, after aborting, zero pictures were on Flickr.

Anyway, the excellent and free XMedia Recode will convert your AVCHD files to MP4 at any bitrate / quality level you choose.

There's also the free VSO AVCHD editor, but calling it editor is a bit off, as it can only render your AVCHD files into blueray compliant video etc, but no editing is actually possible, no cutting, no cropping, nothing whatever.

I have yet to find anything lightweight to cut AVCHD files.

Don't want to load some bloatware like Premiere on my portable just to cut the refuse off my clips.

N13L5's gear list:N13L5's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow