Started May 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
KaiserX
New MemberPosts: 21Gear list
Like?
Took a77 and 70-200mm to Drag Races
May 8, 2012

I went to the NHRA Spring Nationals in Baytown, TX a couple of weeks ago and took my a77 with the Sony 70-200mm f2.8 lens. It was a blast and learning experience. Getting the pictures was easy enough once I weaved my shots through the media people on the track and the people that kept coming up the stairs. But it got really exciting when I slowed the shutter speed down and started to pan with the cars. That really beefed up the photos with a sense of speed, but I would only get maybe 1 or 2 shots out of a dozen that might be decent. Tracking a dragster going 200+ (from where I was close to the starting line) was a real challenge.

Also I really messed up by leaving the White Balance to Auto. I did that because there were clouds in and out and so I wanted the camera to control that. What I didn't realize is that Nitro-Methane smoke is blue, and so as they threw out smoke, the images became really cool (as in temp). So I had to fix just about all of them. Luckily the walls next to the track gave me a good white card.

Anyway, the a77 was great and I shot video with no problems in the heat, unlike my previous a55. But the gear became heavy as the day wore on, so I might think about a different setup when I go to the Fall Nationals up in Dallas later this year.

KaiserX's gear list:KaiserX's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony SLT-A99 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
Sony SLT-A55 Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow