Started May 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
twoeggmedia
Junior MemberPosts: 29Gear list
Like?
NEX professionalism drawback?
May 9, 2012

I have a NEX-7 I have for personal use and as a back-up to my Sigma SD15 I use almost solely for portrait work I do. I had a senior portrait session scheduled Saturday afternoon. The night before I saw hints of sensor dust on the previous days shoot with the Sigma and decided to use the NEX-7 with the 50mm 1.8E and some Leica lenses I use via adapter. This would be the first time I had used the NEX as a primary.

We met at one of my shoot locations and I got the NEX out and mounted it on my tripod to set up lighting and white balance. The mother of the girl I was shooting questioned my "dinky" camera. I said I understand it's a small camera and explained the quality of the NEX and my Leica lenses, even got out my iPad and showed my Flickr page shots and pointed out the portraits on my website done with the NEX. She scoffed and refused to go on with the shoot, saying, "we're not paying for a shoot with that dinky camera, you've got to be kidding me." I even offered to take a few for her to review and if she wasn't happy, we could reschedule. She was quite indignant and refused.

Does anyone else use a NEX professionally? If so, does anyone ever question the appearance of your camera? I guess I should have got the Sigma out just for appearances!?

twoeggmedia's gear list:twoeggmedia's gear list
Sigma DP1s Pentax K-5 Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +1 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow