Started May 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jefftan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,112
Like?
Anyone still using E-PL1, advice want from a new owner
May 8, 2012

I just got a new E-PL1. Of course it is a super deal, almost a steal. I got it for Canadian $250 with kit lens (the old one)

I know it is a 2010 camera. Usually I would not consider old technology no matter how cheap but I have done some research and found out that it is essentially the same sensor as the latest model (not include OMD E-M5 of course).

The only negative that I know of is that it use a old kit lens that is slow in focusing (not important to me as I am mostly doing landscape photography), only 720P video and small low resolution LCD

I think the sharpest aperture for the kit lens at 14mm(28mm equivalent) is at F/4. Please confirm this to me for all MFT expert out there

Anything both positive or negative that I should be aware of?

By the way, E-PM1 is also available for only $350. $100 more is not a problem and I could got the new kit lens, but in DPreview comparison

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/studiocomparefullscreen.asp#baseDir=%2Freviews_data&cameraDataSubdir=boxshot&indexFileName=boxshotindex.xml&presetsFileName=boxshotpresets.xml&showDescriptions=true&headerTitle=Olympus%20OM-D%20E-M5&headerSubTitle=Standard%20studio%20scene%20comparison&masterCamera=oly_em5&masterSample=p1010003&masterDisableCameraSelection=true&slotsCount=4&slot0Camera=oly_em5&slot0Sample=p1010003&slot0DisableCameraSelection=true&slot0DisableSampleSelection=true&slot0LinkWithMaster=true&slot1Camera=panasonic_dmcg3&slot1Sample=p1000070&slot2Camera=sony_nex7&slot2Sample=dsc03021&slot3Camera=samsung_nx200&slot3Sample=sam_9283&x=-0.85652383245065&y=-0.9085714285714286

E-PL1 is actually sharper at base ISO probably because of the weak low pass filter. At ISO 1600 in my opinion E-PL1 is also slightly better. This is very surprising consider that E-PM1 is the new model and should be better

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much

Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PM1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow